Friday 23 February 2018

'Used to' and 'Would'

Original website.



Will
Hello, and welcome to today’s Grammar Gameshow! I’m your host, Will! But I won’t! And of course let’s not forget Leslie, our all-knowing voice in the sky.
Leslie
Hello everyone!
Will
Tonight we’re going to ask you three questions about…
Leslie
Used to
and Would! Those useful words for talking about past habits.
Will
OK! Now, let’s meet our contestants!
Mike
Hi everyone. I’m Mike!
Will
And contestant number two?
Jay
Hi, Will. I’m Jay!
Will
Welcome back, Mike! OK! Let’s get going. And don’t forget you can play along at home too. Ok. Our first question is a quick-fire question, so fingers on the buzzers. Which verb form follows used to or would?
Jay
A verb with no 'to'?
Will
Leslie?
Leslie
Good job, Jay. You are correct. After using used to or would, we use a bare infinitive verb. That’s a verb with no 'to', for example: "I used to go every day". "I would go every day".
Will
Jay, you get two points. Now for our second question - and this is multiple choice. Look at these four sentences. One of them is incorrect. Which one is it, and why?
a)         I used to go running every day.
b)         I would go running every day.
c)         I used to be shorter.
d)         I would be shorter.
Jay
I used to go running every day?
Will
No. I’m sorry that’s not right. I can give you another try.
Jay
B! I would go running every day.
Will
Oh…this is awkward. Wrong again. Care to try a third time?
Jay
Errrrr…C? I used to be shorter.
Will
No. Three strikes, and you’re out I’m afraid. Mike, why don’t you give it a try?
Mike
Ok. D! I would be shorter.
Will
Is the right answer! And why?
Mike
Because he chose the other three answers?
Will
Right again! Leslie?
Leslie
Yep. D is incorrect because used to and would talk about past habits. But unlike used to, would can only talk about actions, not states. 'Be' is a state, so it is incorrect!
Will
Well done! 2 points for you! Alright…on to our third and last question. How does used to change when used as a positive, negative and question?
Mike
Errrmm…it’s the D! In the positive used to has a D, but in the negative and the question, we change the spelling , so no D.
Will
And how does this affect the pronunciation?
Mike
Errmmm…..it doesn’t?
Will
Leslie?
Leslie
Perfectly right again. When used to is put into the negative or a question, it changes spelling and loses a D. However, this does not affect its pronunciation. For example: I used to dance. I didn’t use to dance. Did you use to dance?
Will
We all used to dance, Leslie….we all did….Well done! 1 point for you! Well that brings us to the end of today’s Grammar Gameshow. Let’s count out the points. And the winner is…. Mike with 58 points. Well done! Here’s what you’ve won!
Leslie
A pot of jam!
Will
Fantastic! Spread the love. And how did you do at home? We’ll see you again next week, where you can play for an even bigger prize. And Jay? You had some good answers, but it just wasn’t meant to be.
Jay
Yes. I certainly…
Will
Bring forth the lions. It looks like we’ll need another contestant. Thanks for joining us. Say goodbye Leslie.
Leslie
Goodbye Leslie!
Will
See you again next time!


And now the test:








The solutions:





No comments:

Post a Comment