Sunday 18 February 2018

Gerunds and infinitives




GERUND

#1 After prepositions the gerund is used:
I'm afraid of flying
He's interested in studying English

#2 After certain verbs:

finish mind fancy love enjoy
like dislike hate stop

I love skiing
I hate eating carrots
I dislike running
I fancy eating chicken tonight

#3 When the verb is the subject:
Learning English is not easy
Drinking wine is a pleasure
Sleeping on this sofa is very uncomfortable

INFINITIVE

#4 After adjectives the infinitive is used:
This book is difficult to read
This sofa is uncomfortable to sleep on

#5 After some verbs:

want decide seem need plan
teach threaten learn promise

I would like to go to Ibiza this summer
I would love to do bungee jumping
I plan to study English this summer
I need to buy some shoes
He taught me to skate

#6 When on purpose or intention to do something:
I went to Peru to visit my friend
I went to the library to study maths
Phillip went to the beach to get a tan

INFINITIVE WITHOUT 'TO'

#7 After modal verbs is used the infinitive without to:

can could may might will
shall should ought to must/have to would

Yo should go to the doctor
I can cook very well

#8 After verbs as let or make:
My father didn't let me go to the party
My mother made me clean my room

Examples:
I fancy going to the theatre tonight
Reading helps you learn English
She decided not to go to the party
You shouldn't eat before going to bed
It is difficult to stop eating chocolate




#1 (after prepositions)

Thank you for teaching us English
These scissors are for cutting paper
This lessons is about using gerunds
He left without saying good bye
Tommy dreams of having a bicycle
He is good at playing soccer
I'm tired of arguing with you
I'm not using to getting up early
He is happy about being chosen
Are you interested in buying a new home?
We are excited about going on a trip
He was famous for making people laugh
Who is responsible for answering the phone?
I'm worried about taking the test
I'm looking forward to meeting you
We ended up going out to eat
I wouldn't think of leaving you
We're going to see about buying a car
I have to give up smoking
He insisted on helping

#2 (some verbs)


admit deny dislike enjoy finish
involve keep mind miss postpone
resist risk fancy hate love

I dislike flying
Do you enjoy playing cards?
I finished checking your homework
The job involves cooking and cleaning
He kept working despite being sick
I don't mind working late
I miss having a garden
They had to postpone opening the new store
I couldn't resist buying it
You risk losing everythink
He admitted breaking the window
He denied taking the money
We don't regret selling the house

#3 When the verb is the subject

Fishing is my favorite pastime
Swimming is good execise

#4 After adjectives the infinitive is used:

My house is easy to find
This food is ready to eat
He looks very happy to be here
I am pleased to meet you

#5 After some verbs


agree be able dedide expect hope
learn need offer plan pretend
promise see wait want would like

He agreed to help
Will you be able to go?
Let me know what you decide to do
They expect to finish early
I hope to see you soon
When did you learn to play the piano?
I need to use the bathroom
That man offered to buy the house
We plan to study tonight
I pretended to like the food
He promised to return
The children seem to be happy
I can't wait to see you
We want to go to Europe
We would like to go in the spring
I would have liked to have there

Theese verbs are followed by infinitive but they need a complement
allow advice cause convince encourage
force hire invite order remind
teach tell

My parents allowed me to go
We advised them to sell the house
An excess of rain can cause the river to rise
We convinced them to stay
I encouraged her to study for the test
They forced me to sign the contract
They hired some men to help
She invited me to attend the ceremony
They ordered us to leave the area
Remind me to buy bread
I will teach you to dance
Tell them to wait for me

#6 When on purpose or intention to do something:

I am saving money to buy a car
They pay me to walk their dog
I called you to ask about the test
He went to the store to get some milk

#8 After verbs as let or make:

They made us wait for an hour
We let the dog sleep in the house
They helped us move

#9 Wath, see, hear

We watched the plane take off
I saw him catch the ball
Have you hear her sing


#9 Negative of gerund

I'm worried about not having a job
I enjoy not working on Sundays

#10 Leisure

Let's go swimming
He went fishing
We are going camping

#11 t's not the same:
- Try to take this medecine. Even though it tastes so bad
- Try taking this medicine. It could cure you

- He stopped to call her. He stop what he was doing to call her
- He stopped calling her. He can't stand her

- I quit to spend more time at home. Now I can stay more at home
- I quit spending so much time at work. Now I don't work so much

No comments:

Post a Comment